My final challenge to this year, so far, will be the Chunkster Reading Challenge.
February 1, 2011 through January 31, 2012
Below are the details and sign ups for 2011 … I’ve made a few changes which I hope you will like…ie: I’ve added another level of participation AND I’ve changed the number of books you need to read for each level.
Definition of a Chunkster:
* A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) … A chunkster should be a challenge.
* If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more … The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
* No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn’t seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.
* No e-Books allowed – we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge.
* Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
* Books may crossover with other challenges
* Anyone may join. If you don’t have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing)
* You don’t need to list your books ahead of time.
* Once you pick a level, that’s it…you’re committed to that level!
You must pick a level of participation:
1. The Chubby Chunkster – this option is for the reader who wants to dabble in large tomes, but really doesn’t want to commit to much more than that. FOUR Chunksters is all you need to finish this challenge.
2. The Plump Primer – this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to SIX Chunksters over the next twelve months.
3. Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? – this option is for the reader who can’t resist bigger and bigger books and wants to commit to SIX Chunksters from the following categories: 2 books which are between 450 – 550 pages in length; 2 books which are 551 – 750 pages in length; 2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length (for ideas, please refer to the book suggestions page for some books which fit into these categories).
4. Mor-book-ly Obese – This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to EIGHT or more Chunksters of which three tomes MUST be 750 pages or more. You know you want to…..go on and give in to your cravings.
My level will be Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big?
The books so far:
2 books which are between 450 – 550 pages in length;
Kim Harrison: Fistful of Charms: 518 pages.
Marie Brennan: A Star Shall Fall: 494 pages
2 books which are 551 – 750 pages in length;
Bram Stoker: Dracula: the Finnish translation with 607 pages
C. J. Cherryh: Cyteen: 680 pages
2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length
Kate Elliott: Traitors’ Gate: 877 pages in the paperback.
Jacqueline Carey: Kushiel’s Scion 943 pages in soft cover
I’ve got quite a few unread chunksters in my to-be-read pile and I’m also been wanting to reread Brust’s Khaavren cycle and Carey’s Kushiel books.